15 Oct Workshop: Media as the Face of Pneumonia
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Media: As the Face of Pneumonia
One of the World Pneumonia Day 2011 grant awardees, Poriprekkhit is a nonprofit committed to creating positive change in Bangladesh through communication and advocacy. For WPD 2011, Poriprekkhit led a media workshop in Dhaka, Bangladesh to encourage local journalists to speak out against pneumonia.
Participating in the media workshop were 40 experienced journalists from leading print, television, and online media organizations. Twelve of these journalists were selected to participate in Poriprekkhit’s pneumonia journalism fellowship. As part of the program each of the fellows collected data, conducted interviews, and published a news story about pneumonia in the run up to WPD. The two best news stories, one each for print and electronic media, were recognized by Poriprekkhit judges. Policymakers in Dhaka responded to some of these reports, promising to give pneumonia priority.
- Shahnaz Biswas Yeasmin from Boishakhi TV (Electronic media)
- Moniruzzaman Uzzal from Daily Jugantor (Print media)
Honored Guests included:
- Syed Modaseer Ali, Advisor to Bangladesh Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina
- Pneumonia Specialist Dr. Samir Kumar Saha
- Child Specialist, Professor Ruhul Amin
- Media Specialist Manzurul Ahsan Bulbul