17 May India Launches PCV
Article posted on May 13, 2017.
- Pneumonia is a leading cause of vaccine-preventable illness and death among children under-5 years old in India.
- The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) that India will introduce provides protection against more than 2/3 of all the disease-causing strains.
- Introductions begin in Himachal Pradesh and will be scaled-up to other states across the country.
The roll-out of free pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) in India is a milestone in the global charge against childhood pneumonia. Beginning in Himachal Pradesh, the Government of India aims to reach millions of children in the coming years through a planned scale-up across the country, according to the official press release.
Global health leaders are celebrating the addition of PCV to India’s Universal Immunization Program (UIP), supported by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. In a Global Health NOW Q&A, Kate O’Brien, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center, describes the significance and expected impact of India’s decision. Pediatricians expand upon this “laudable milestone for India and the world” in an Asian Age op-ed.
Join us in celebrating this achievement on social media! Here are suggested posts to accompany share graphics.
- . @MoHFW_INDIA: “Sh @JPNadda launches #PCV as part of Universal Immunization Program #UIP at Mandi, today. #VaccinesWork”
- . @Gavi: “#Pneumonia kills more kids under-5 than HIV, TB, Zika, Ebola, & malaria combined. But now #India is helping #VaccinesWork to #StopPneumonia!”
- Great work, #India! In the coming years, #pneumonia vaccine will help protect millions of children #VaccinesWork http://bit.ly/2rkgq9d
- With vaccine launch, #India takes a vital step to help protect kids from leading threat: #pneumonia #VaccinesWork http://bit.ly/2rkgq9d
- Great news: #India’s vaccine launch is a major step forward in the fight to #StopPneumonia #VaccinesWork http://bit.ly/2rkgq9d
- Every day, approx. 500 children in #India die due to #pneumonia. #Vaccinate your child to ensure a healthy childhood #VaccinesWork
- PCV helps protect children against pneumonia, meningitis, sepsis, & ear infections. Let’s pledge to #immunize every child